5 Easy Steps to Great Marketing Copy
There are 5 major components to great advertising copy:
(Note that the order of these is essential to your success)
- Command Attention
- Showcase Benefits of Products/Services
- Prove the Benefits
- Persuade People to Embrace the Benefits
- Call to Action
Advertising is sales in print. Great marketing copy works online or offline. So, you need to think about the unique benefits your products and/or services offer and showcase that in a persuasive way. You need to emphasize results, not features.
Let’s take a minute to talk about each of these components:
- Grab Their Attention: This is usually accomplished with the headline. You need an attention-getter that makes people want to know more about your products/services. The best headlines give a vivid portrayal of the benefits or show how a problem can be avoided or solved with your products/services. The headline is the advertisement for the advertisement. Try a powerful statement or curiosity building question. Got Milk? Did a great job of this.
- Showcase Benefits to Them: You have to showcase the benefits of your products and services and, more importantly, show how they will solve or prevent a problem. They need to know what’s in it for them. Include useful, factual and clear information to show precisely what the benefits are and how they are going to help the customer.
- Offer Proof: This is where you prove what the advertisement is offering. You need to establish you have a method to deliver. Consider information that establishes credibility and past performance. Success stories work great here. Include facts and measurable results as well.
- Persuade: You need to add compelling reasons for your potential customers to purchase your products/services. Use a friendly, helpful approach and create scarcity. This will enact your potential customers to feel like they must act now.
- Call to Action: Compel your potential customers to DO something. They need to check out your site, sign up for your newsletter, purchase your products, contact you about services…something. Offer a freebie-a booklet, sample, product, bonus, demo, consult, limited time price…the list goes on. There are lots of ways to get potential customers excited about ordering and help them feel like they are getting an amazing deal. You’ve told them how you can help them, now clearly instruct how they can get started with you to get what they want.
Great marketing copy online or in advertisements include all these components and are not complete without any of them. You can sit down and think through any one of these components, then figure out how to best place them together for the most effectiveness.
For another resource, please check out this article on highly effective marketing copy in the Folsom, Auburn, Orangevale, Rancho Cordova areas.
We can help you with this too.
Try our FREE test drive to learn how to put together great marketing copy or advertisements from some of the best in the business – sign up here for 4 easy to understand videos on getting more leads with zero marketing budget: